Broughton (site of)
Broughton was a tower house which was the seat of the Murrays of Broughton.
The lands of Broughton were owned by the Murray family from the 12th century. Later they built a castle and a stone carved with the date 1628 is built into the wall of the farmhouse at Broughton Mains.
Richard Murray of Broughton was married to Anna Lennox, daughter of Alexander Lennox of Cally. Following his father-in-law’s death in 1657 Cally passed to his wife in 1658 and in 1661 he received a Crown charter of the estate upon the resignation of John Lennox of Plunton, “heir male of tailzie and provision of the deceased Alexander Lennox of Cailie”.
In the mid-18th century the Murrays built Broughton House in Kirkcudbright.
The tower was later demolished and only the date stone remains.
Alternative names for Broughton
Brogtou; Broughton Mains; Old Place of Broughton