Bonshaw Tower is a 16th century tower house built by the Irving family.
The Irvings or Irvines held the lands from the 14th century and possibly earlier. The tower was burned by the English in 1544 and later rebuilt.
In 1506 Andrew Herries, 2nd Lord Herries of Terregles, infefted William Irving of Bonshaw in his three pound land of Ecclefechan. In the same year Edward Irving, son of the late William Irving of Bonshaw, received a charter from Robert Crosbie of Ulcotis of the lands of Hairgills, Ulcoates and others. Edward Irving’s son also seems to have been known as William Irving of Kirkconnel.
In 1556 William Irving of Bonshaw possessed the forty shilling land in Ecclefechan of which Carruthers of Holmains held the superiority.
Edward Irving of Bonshaw may have died at the Battle of Dryfe Sands in December 1593 when the Irvings and Johnstones, led by Sir James Johnstone of Dunskellie, met the Maxwells in the culmination of a feud that had been going on since 1585.
Edward Irving of Bonshaw, presumably a younger relative, William Irving of Kirkconnell and William’s son are included in a list of allies of Sir James Johnstone of Dunskellie in 1597 whom Sir James Douglas of Drumlanrig and his allies promised not to attack.
In 1655 James Irving of Bonshaw was served heir-special to his great-great-grandfather, Edward Irving of Bonshaw, in “the 3 pund land of old extent of Egilfechane”.
In 1668 John Irving of Bonshaw, a bailie of the burgh of Dumfries, bought the mortgaged estate of Drumcoltran.
An adjoining two storey mansion was built in the 18th century.
Alternative names for Bonshaw Tower