Balloch Castle was the seat of the Earls of Lennox for several centuries however only a mound now remains.
The site was occupied by the Earls of Lennox from the 12th to the 14th centuries. In the 15th century it became the property of Lord Darnley. It is thought to have been superseded by Inchmurrin by 1511.
In 1652 the estate was bought by Sir John Colquhoun of Luss.
In the early 19th century a new mansion, also named Balloch Castle, was built for John Buchanan of Ardoch to the north-east of the castle mound, seemingly reusing stone from the old castle.
Early in the 20th century the estate was bought by the Glasgow City Corporation and it is still owned by Glasgow City Council who lease it to West Dumbartonshire Council.