Abbotshall (site of)
Abottshall was a tower belonging to the Scott family however nothing of it now remains.
The land was originally owned by Dunfermline Abbey and one of the abbots built a house here some time before 1536, which presumably accounts for its name. Following the Reformation it passed to the Scotts of Balwearie.
In the 16th century Janet or Jean Scott, daughter of Thomas Scott of Abbotshall, married James Anstruther, son of John Anstruther of Anstruther and in 1571 Anstruther Easter was created a burgh of barony by James VI for John, to be inherited by his son, James, and his son’s wife.
In 1595 Sir James Scott of Balwearie signed a contract with his cousin, William Scott of Abbotshall, to ensure that his “lands and baronies of Innerteill, Stramiglo, Glendock, Balwearie and others” would remain in the Scott family by passing to William’s son, James, should Sir James’s line fail.
In 1628 Sir James Scott of Abbotshall, brother of Jean Scott, was granted the lands, town and barony of Anstruther by his nephew, Sir William Anstruther of Anstruther and he following year he and John Wood were both infeft of the barony of Anstruther.
The tower was later replaced by a mansion which was extant in 1710 but in ruins by around 1800. The site is now occupied by a housing estate however some architectural fragments including old walls and arched gateways survive in Raith Gardens.
Alternative names for Abbotshall
Abbot's Hall; Abotshall; Abbotishall