There is no longer anything to see at the original site of the Moneydie stone circle. Now a cultivated field, the last standing stone was removed by the farmer around 1960, and lies on the verge by the side of the road. When Coles visited in 1910, there were 5 stones on the site, all but one of which had fallen, suggesting a circle of diameter c.27m.
The RCAHMS only list one stone (the one still standing on Coles‘ visit) as definitely having come from the circle. However, I believe that the other 4 stones can still be seen, and perhaps another one. Close by the listed stone is another of very similar size and shape. Across the road from these two is a third, again sharing the same attributes, on the edge of a burn.
Retracing your steps towards the main road, there are 3 further stones under the trees. The first you come to is on it’s own, once again the same distinctive triangular shape, and has an amazing pattern running through it, looking almost like the rings of a tree. A bit further on are two stones together – one of the same shape as the others, the other longer and thinner rather than wide and triangular.
Although this would appear to be the only stone circle in Moneydie parish for which there are physical remains, several once existed. According to the Rev. George Fraser, writing in the First Statistical Account (1791-1799):
“There are many circles of stones, supposed to be Druidical temples.”
In the Second Statistical Account (1845), the Rev. J W Thomson wrote:
“In the department of antiquities, few parishes, it is believed, are more barren than Moneydie….One or two circles of stones also may still be seen, which are not unlikely to have been places of Druidical worship.”
stone listed by RCAHMS – 1.30m long x 1.30m wide x 0.7m thick
original diameter of circle – 27.0m
Where is Moneydie?
Moneydie is in the parish of Moneydie and the county of Perthshire.
Grid reference: NO 0588 2881
Lat / long: 56.4420587, -3.528098746
OS Map for Moneydie
London and New Haven, 2000