Dumbuck crannog is notable for having had a logboat found close to it during a 19th century archaeological excavation.
First identified in the late 19th century, the site was excavated in 1898 which revealed the stumps of 27 oak piles arranged around 1.8m to 2.7m apart and forming a circle approximately 15m in diameter. Within this circle was a floor of horizontal timbers above a platform comprising layers of earth, stone and brushwood.
The crannog was surrounded by a stone breakwater at a distance of around 3.7m to 4.3m. Approximately 18m to the north-east of the crannog a dock-like structure was found, constructed from timber and stone and connected to the crannog by a causeway. Within the dock was an oak logboat measuring around 10.9m in length by up to 1.2m across and was 0.6m deep. It was presented to the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum.
Within the crannog were found various artefacts including carved and incised pieces of shale and weapons which are thought to be forgeries planted by a member of the excavation team. The crannog, dock and logboat are all however genuine.
The crannog is situated around 50m from the high water mark, and while it is visible at low tide it is completely covered at high tide.
Alternative names for Dumbuck
OS Map for Dumbuck
OS Explorer map 347/OL38
Buy from Ordnance Survey