Dalginross sits in a small clearing, surrounded on three sides by trees and on one side by a quiet country road, beside the Muirend cemetery. The area is very peaceful, and the road quiet. Looking out from the circle, you are rewarded with magnificent views of the distant hills.
When Coles visited in 1911, two of the stones were standing, but now only one does, while the other three lie in approximately their original positions, encircling the stump of a tree at the circle’s centre. Standing back from the circle, it can quite clearly be seen that its stands on a slight mound, about 0.5m higher than the neighbouring flat ground.
At least twice in the 19th century the site was the subject of amateur archaeological investigations, as the Rev. John Macpherson, minister of Comrie, described in 1896:
“There were three large slabs of stone Iying upon the ground, which apparently had been at some former period placed erect by some loving hands to mark the last resting-place of some departed friend or hero. By the aid of some of the Comrie masons the stones were placed in a standing position. Curious to know what lay beneath the surface, we dug up the earth in front of the largest slab, and came upon a stone cist placed north and south, 7 inches long, 1 foot inches broad, and 1 foot 3 inches deep. The only remains discovered was a thigh-bone, but whether it at one time formed a part of the leg of a Celt, a Roman, or a Saxon we could not tell. An old man who then lived in the village of Comrie told us that in his young days the same mound was dug up, when an urn filled with ashes was discovered.”
Alternative names for Dalginross
Dunmoid; Muirend; Roundel
OS Map for Dalginross
OS Explorer map 368/OL47
Buy from Ordnance Survey
Weather at Dalginross
max 16°C / min 14°C
Weather observed at Comrie at 05:48