Carn na Marbh, or the Mound of the Dead, was used in the 14th century for burying victims of the plague away from the church graveyard. But it may actually be a re-used barrow, as legend has it that it was the focal point of the Samhain festival. A great fire was lit on top of it each year, and the locals would dance around the mound. The Samhain celebrations here apparently came to an end in 1924, because the local gamekeeper was unhappy with people collecting wood from the surrounding hills for the fire!
On top of the mound is the Clach a’Phlaigh.
Alternative names for Carn na Marbh
Carn nam Marbh; Mound of the Dead