The castle is defended by a massive outer wall, and inside that is a large gatehouse.
First laid out around 1630, the gardens are arranged in the Italian Renaissance style, and are accessed from the castle terrace via two flights of stone steps.
Bushes and trees in a vast array of shapes and sizes are interspersed with flowers and Classical sculptures.
It was a hot and muggy day, alternating between blue skies and dark clouds, although the rain did hold off.
At the west end of the garden is an ornamental pond, across which is a bridge which once carried the main approach to Drummond Castle.
In the late 17th century accommodation more fitting of a gentleman was built for James Drummond, the 4th Earl of Perth, opposite the castle. On the lawn in front of this mansion house were several peacocks, strutting around in the bright sunshine.
The garden is such a quiet and peaceful oasis, and time flew so that before we knew it it was time to leave.
On our way back south to Edinburgh we stopped at Ardoch Roman fort on the edge of Braco. Almost 2000 years old, it’s a mightily-impressive structure and is considered to be one of the best-preserved Roman forts in Britain.
Although no buildings survive, the entire site is surrounded by a succession of ditches and banks.
The rows and rows of banks of earth form a perfect housing estate for hundreds of rabbits, many of whom were out sunning themselves.