Today we visited Castle Campbell, a formidable tower house standing above the confluence of the Burn of Care and the Burn of Sorrow at the head of Dollar Glen.
The central tower is a four storey structure, built in the early 15th century.
In front of the castle are formal gardens which look down Dollar Glen to the town of Dollar far below.
Alterations were made to the castle over the centuries, including the addition of an Italian-style loggia around 1600, with carved stone columns.
On the top floor of the main tower is a room with a vaulted ceiling, at the centre of which are two grotesque carved faces, possibly representing the Green Man.
At the very top of the castle it’s possible to get out onto the battlements, from where there are great views down Dollar Glen, and up to the Ochils.